A “Verification Method” JV3 assessment compares the proposed building’s Annual Energy Consumption, against a simulated Reference Building. This Reference Building complies with all the elemental NCC Section J Deemed-To-Satisfy (DTS) requirements (e.g. insulation and glazing). According to JV3 modelling conditions, as long as the Annual Energy Consumption of the proposed building is less than the Reference Building, we have a Building Solution!
In this way, our JV3 assessment is able to allow trading between different building elements. If you have great gazing, it can compensate for less than optimal insulation. Therefore it results in significantly lower construction costs than what a DTS-compliant building would have required.
Savings & benefits that we have achieved for our clients with JV3 assessments include:
- Less roof insulation or ceiling insulation
- No insulation under box gutters
- Removal of roof insulation spacers, by including the reduction of roof insulation R-value into our calculations
- Reduction (or removal) of added wall insulation (or internal lining), including around walls to non-conditioned spaces
- No insulation required to envelope walls above ceilings in the roof-space
- Elimination of metal-framed wall thermal breaks, by including the thermal bridging into our calculations.
- Lower specification glazing, e.g. standard single glass in standard frames instead of: lowE, or tinted, or double-glazed, or thermally-broken frames
- Increase in glazing areas to facades, beyond the DTS allowances
- More than 5% of floor area for roof lights
- Lower specification roof lights (higher U-value and/or SHGC)
- Reduction or optimisation of external shade projections or screens
- No added ceiling insulation or soffit insulation to suspended envelope floors (non-conditioned space, above or below)
Not all projects can have all these benefits as some cancel each other out. Many of these features are included in our standard JV3 calculation. However, any further optimisation of building elements beyond the Report assessment of course requires negotiation with the client That is, we won’t change anything in the building specifications unless asked to do so.
If you want your project to reap the benefits of our expertise, contact us for a competitive, obligation-free, fee proposal.